Eligibility Requirements for Unemployment Insurance (UI)
ELIGIBILITY FOR UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE BENEFITS
To apply for unemployment benefits:
You will be required to meet certain requirements in order to qualify for unemployment benefits. These requirements include but are not limited to:
- Officially register and/or log into your account in this system, the New Mexico Workforce Connection (www.jobs.state.nm.us).
- If you are currently logged in or once you register/log into the system, click on "Unemployment Insurance" under the "Quick Menu" on the left-hand side of the screen.
- Log into the UI Claims and Benefits system.
- If you have questions or need additional information, contact a Customer Service Agent at the NMDWS Unemployment Insurance Operations Center by calling 1-877-NM-4-MYUI (1-877-664-6984), Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Eligibility requirements vary from state to state. In general, you must meet standards for amount of money earned or time worked during a set period of time called a base period. Typically, the base period consists of the first four of the previous five calendar quarters.
- Amount of money you earned in your base period as determined by your date of claim.
- Your separation from your last employer must be under non-disqualifying conditions.
- You must be able, available, and actively seeking new employment.
It must be determined that you are unemployed through no fault of your own, as outlined in New Mexico state law. You must also:
- Be able to work – You are capable of working during the week in which you file for unemployment benefits. You cannot collect benefits if you are sick, injured or disabled.
- Be available to work – You are ready to start a job immediately and do not have any obstacles to accepting work, such as transportation or childcare issues.
- Be actively seeking work – You are searching for work and trying to find a job. Unless officially exempted, you will be required to conduct a minimum of two work searches per week for every week you certify for benefits. You are required to keep a log of all of your work searches, and the New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions (NMDWS) can request verification of your searches at any time during your benefit year. The Work Search Verification Log can be used to keep track of all of your work searches.
In order to stay eligible for benefits, you must continue to meet the necessary requirements from your initial claim. In addition, you must report to your local New Mexico Workforce Connection Center when requested, and you must not refuse any offer of suitable work.
You may be disqualified from receiving benefits (completely or for a set period of time) if any of the following conditions are true:
You may potentially be disqualified from receiving benefits for other reasons. Disqualifications can be appealed.
- You voluntarily quit your job without good cause, or if you voluntarily chose to retire.
- You were fired from your job for misconduct.
- Your unemployment is due to a labor dispute.
- You refuse to find suitable work.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Geographic Solutions. All rights reserved.
For more information contact Geographic Solutions.